Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pros and Cons

While keeping an online blog like Myspace or Facebook may seem like a convenient and entertaining way to socialize with friends or meet new people, it can also be risky depending on how much you choose to let other people see. The most important thing to realize when participating in social networking is that your profile, as safe as it seems, is not necessarily private. It's easy to post something others might see as provocative or inappropriate whereas at the time it didn't seem so to you, but then years later when you're applying for your dream job and the company finds those posts that you thought you got rid of, your life may not turn out as you had planned.

Many people think they are simply taking part in something safe that is so common these days and in believing this they share private information about themselves or are too open about what they say and do. It's understandable that the internet makes people feel more comfortable and lets them be who they wouldn't normally be in real life, but this is what people don't realize may affect their futures.

3 comments:

MOlly said...

I really like your topic, very original, and I agree with the position that you have taken. Besides using it as a means to communicate with friends online, myspace, facebook, and similar sites serve no purpose, and can sometimes be dangerous. The one point that you brought up that I thought was a strength was the fact that if a future employer sees something you may have written they may misinterpret it and not hire you for the job. That is so true, one of my friends said to me that right before she applies to college she is going to rearrange her facebook to make it look more presentable, just in case colleges are going to look at it. The information surrounding your topic is endless, and I don't think that you will have a problem researching.

Stef said...

I am a little confused as to what you are arguing. Is it that the internet isn't private, or people don't know what's allowed to be seen (something along that lines)? It is interesting seeing you do this topic because I have a facebook.I think that it is very private and I am cautious of what I put on it. My mom is head of HR and always tell me that her firm uses FB as a way to recruit and check future employees. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

MatthewMcN said...

While your topic is an issue that is constantly discussed, I really appreciate your original approach. Too often people tend to expound upon the dangers of online predators or possible identity theft. You raise some interesting issues, however, in discussing the negative effects that the posting of personal information may cause. In my experience as a high-school student, sites such as Facebook or Myspace become a source of all gossip; they publicize break-ups, fights, or social gatherings that may damage a person's reputation. I am excited to hear more about your topic; it is way more relevant and important than many would hope to believe.

I am not sure if this is completely relevant to your topic, but I saw a story on the news once of a series of incidents referred to as "online bullying." In one instance, a teenager was teased about the pictures on a Myspace page and was eventually driven to commit suicide. Perhaps any articles on those cases can be of assistance.